Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 40 - #livingthebuslife

I'm running out of opening statements. So I'm just going to jump right into this week's recap :) It's been one heck of a week, to say the least. First of all we are car-less. Not due to my accident, but the Racine sister's car is in the shop for a week so they gave our car to them for the time being. Luckily, Milwaukee has a decent bus system! Imagine this: two girls who have never taken a bus anywhere in their lives trying to navigate the city of Milwaukee. It hasn't been too bad. It's kind of an adventure, I must say. Although, my nose has almost frozen off like five times while waiting for the bus. But we're surviving :) I do have to say, I'm pretty proud of us. Especially considering the fact that we had less than 3 hours notice to get bus passes, routes, maps, etc... if I had to title Thursday it would be "the day we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off"! It ended well though with a great surprise dinner with Sister Stewart (RS pres) and a nice lesson with a less active woman. Sister Stewart is such a rockstar. She took us out all day on Saturday! 

Friday was our first full day on the bus. I mean, it took us an extra hour to plan out bus routes/times/changes, but we did it! It's kinda fun to be honest. We were suppose to see Sis. W, but she was sleeping when we got there. So we taught her non-member mother the Restoration instead. It's sort of weird because when we had our car we usually just pray before we get out and go into the appointment, but seeing as we don't have a car we totally forgot to pray before we walked in. Both Sister Garner and I could definitely tell the lack of spirit as we taught. Things just didn't go as smooth. The spirit is so essential in teaching and testifying of the gospel! 

So I don't know if I mentioned this, but Brother Capps asked us if we could go visit some people whose records they just received. He told us how he had tried to call them, but some of the numbers were disconnected or they didn't answer or whatever. So we pull up to this one lady's apartment complex and we find out that she lives in a place for deaf people! So obviously she's not answering her phone...she can't hear! Now I'm really wishing I had paid better attention in my ASL classes and not just watched Switched at Birth for extra credit. But fun fact: Sister Garner also took two years of sign language in high school! So we were able to communicate with her and set up a return appointment. I really need to brush up on my ASL though...

On Friday I hit my halfway mark. So strange. I've been reflecting a lot lately on the past nine months and I've just been filled with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude. I've met some of my favorite people, become a Green Bay Packer fan, learned how to say "Wisconsin" correctly, seen families become united through the gospel, eaten more custard than I care to admit, felt the spirit on a daily basis, and most importantly I have come to know my Savior on a more personal level. I've finally decided to tackle "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage. And I'm so happy that I started reading it! I'm not too far along in it, but I love this scripture that he referenced. John 6:38 "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me". I've been thinking a lot about that and how Christ was per-ordained to come into this world to be the Redeemer of mankind and how He didn't come to this world on His own agenda, but He came to do the will of the Father. I guess it goes back to the talk by Sister Marriott, about yielding our hearts to God. It's super tough to do, but I know that as we try our hardest to submit to God's will that we will be blessed with the strength and courage to do so. 

Be good this week and always choose the right! 

XO, Sister Quist


If you need us, we'll be at the bus stop!
Elders cut their ties in half at their halfway mark...
apparently sisters take a "9 months" pic. LOL.
From Utah to Montana to Wisconsin to Arkansas to Wisconsin... I finally got my package! :)