Monday, May 18, 2015

Week 4 - Happy One Month this week!

Hi all! This week has flown by. Holy cow, have I really been gone for almost a month? That's crazy! So many things happened this week so I'll just recap it for you with some inserts from my journal…

Monday:
P-day! Holla! We were going to play sports with the zone, but didn't end up going. It would've been just Elders there anyways so we couldn't have gone inside. Instead we went to the American Girl Doll store and it made all my childhood dreams come true. It was actually really small, nothing too exciting, but it was a fun little adventure. We then went to this super yummy custard place called Leon's. You drive up to the place and flash your lights when you're ready to order. It's all 50's like. And it was delicious. 


Tuesday:
"Today seemed to go by so slow. But it's weird because when I got home the day seemed to have gone by super fast". Basically how I feel everyday. Our appointment with Mindy didn't happen because she cancelled. And Julia also cancelled. Lame. We did have a dinner appointment with the Thompsons. Paige and Andy are very cool. Andy has just recently become active and Paige is a convert of about 5 months. Now they are both incredibly active. Fun fact. Andy's sister, Emma (who is also in our ward), was roommates with Alli Butters! Such a small world. We also had my very first district meeting. It was fun to meet the other missionaries in my district. 

Wednesday:
"You know what I love?? Wearing PANTS"! On Wednesday we went to a member's mother in law's house and helped them move. Lots and lots of packing. The lady who lived there was like this old woman from Austria. She had so much stuff. Like some plastic silverware from 1986. I'm pretty sure this felt a lot like what cleaning out Mimi's house was like. We went and visited the Irizarry's. They are the most hilarious old Mexican couple. They are both basically deaf and just yell at each other and it's so funny. Sister Straight says that they always feed us, and it's true! They insisted on a plate of cheese and crackers with some juice. And we happily ate it :) Afterwards, we went tracting...not my fave. But it's okay. There will randomly be some group home for disabled people in the middle of a neighboorhood. Anyways, we ran into a man in a wheelchai just soaking up some sun in the driveway of one of these group home. We asked him how he was doing and he said "terrible"! We asked why and he said "Because I'm dying"! He then told us how he was a Mormon once because after a 20 minute converstation with God he knew that he needed to turn his life around. Then he told us how he lived in Chicago and was apart of the mafia there. "I killed 49 people, or so they tell me"...I'm not quite sure what that means, but Sis. Straight and I were trying so hard not to laugh. We run into some of the most interesting people. At another doorstep I began to do an approach and I started talking, then realized I was quickly going nowhere and said OUT LOUD, "Wait. Hold up." and I started over again. SO EMBARRASSING. Luckily the old man at the door was kind and didn't say anything. We couldn't help but laugh. We still laugh about it. We had dinner at a member's house. We had some chicken noodle soup, but there was like a whole chicken in my soup, I swear. 

Thursday:
"Just trying to hang in there today". Thursday brought a lot of feelings of discouragement and inadequacy. I'm really learning that the Lord is the ultimate source of comfort. Nobody was home today, so tracting was a bummer. We stopped by a potential's house, Natalie, and she was really rude to us. I don't get why people don't like us. On a positive note, I got through most of a door approach today! Yay! I also got a big whiff of some weed. The guy told us he was studying...I don't know what he was studying for, but nothing good I'll tell ya that.
Sometimes I feel like the reason we aren't finding success is because of me. I just look at Sister Straight and see a missionary who is so amazing. I sure hope that I'm not the one holding us down. Being on a mission has made me so aware of all my weaknesses. I have moments when I think about my relationships with people before the mish and just think, "Wow. I was so immature". Or "I really need to work on this or that". There's so much self reflection that goes on daily! It makes me feel so bad for things I've said or the way I may have acted towards others. A mission is the hardest thing mentally that I have ever done. 

Friday:
Mindy's lesson was earlier. We taught her the Law of Chastity. Hahahaha, I never thought I'd be teaching the LoC my second week in the field. It happens, people! But it was a solid lesson. A bit awkward, but that's to be expected- especially since she lives with her boyfriend. But we got through it and walked away feeling pretty awesome about where Mindy was at. 

Saturday:
Rough day, but the evening was lots better. We went and visited Sis. Lowery (a less active who I love so much). We just went and visited "We also saw a girl named Ashley. Ashley is 18 and a convert of about a year. She was an atheist before converting, so that's cool. The lesson was outside and just pretty casual. I felt very comfortable. God has blessed us so much with the day always ending pretty well. 

Sunday:
We taught gospel principles AND relief society. The Sabbath is always such a wonderful day. I just love going to church and visiting with all the members there. They're great. Now only if they'd give us a million referrals and feed us every night :)

And that's a wrap! It was a good week. I'm getting a smidge more comfortable with tracting. Sister Straight and I are becoming fast friends. Hahaha, we have too much fun together. It gets crazy sometimes, but laughing is how I get through the day. I feel so blessed to be here. And I can feel the Savior softening my heart everyday. Sometimes I just get bursts of joy and love for the work that I'm doing. It's so, so difficult to not think about home and school and life outside of being a missionary, but as I've prayed to be a more consecrated missionary the Lord has gradually helped me to become more focused. I know that in the strength of the Lord I can do all things! 

Much love, 
Sister Quist

"p.s. I found out Sis. Straight has seen all the Gilmore Girls. So that makes me like her even more :) Haha, and it makes me miss you (and gilmore girls!), but this is a better use of my time for now!"
 study, study, study