Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 6 - Sister Quist on a Quest

Oh my goodness! What a week it's been. What even happened this week? First of all, it has been super rainy lately! Everyone says that's a good thing, for the farmers and such, but tracting and rain do not go very well together. I've been sporting the rain boots, or as Elder Mann says, "wellies" (he's from the UK). Things have been happening here in Oshkosh! Miracles, people. So we had those four headquarter referrals. Let me tell you how they all went down. 

1. Wrong address, wrong phone number
2. Sketchy house in the Elders area. Went back four times and couldn't get into contact with her. Some black guys told us to just walk inside and up the stairs and knock, but NO. We were not about to fall into some kidnapper's trap. We agreed it would be best if we gave her over to the Elders...they can go into the scary house if they want to. Lol. 
3. She lives in Neshkoro. Like an hour away. Unfortunately we don't have the miles to just go and see if she's home. We've called her a couple times, but we're thinking that she doesn't feel like getting her free Bible is super urgent.
4. Donna. Oh, Donna. She's kind of the best. First of all, she requested a Book of Mormon. WHO DOES THAT? We usually have to convince people to take it. She ASKED for it. We went and delivered it to her. She wanted to set up a return appointment. Um, YES. So the following Tuesday (the 26th) we brought a member (Sis. Matthies. Who is an awesome return missionary in the ward. She's super cool. An art teacher. She says, "We're BFF's"--holla). We knocked on the door and NOTHING. Not home :( Just as we were leaving, her husband pulled into the driveway! He texted her and told her she forgot. She called us and left a message. Apologizing and asking to reschedule. So of course we called her back! She is actually interested!! So exciting! I don't think she got our message because the next day she left us a message saying, "Sisters, this is Donna. I don't know if you got my message, but I would really like to reschedule something for this week! I'm so sorry about Tuesday. I feel so bad. Call me back, thanks". So after a couple days of phone tag we were finally able to set something up! Her lesson was incredible!! She said how she's looked at the "Order a Book of Mormon" page so many times and she just kept coming back to it. She finally decided to order one. The spirit was so strong and I was able to recite the first vision to her. Which was really cool. I was so nervous, but I nailed it. She said "yes" right off the bat to the baptism invite. (WHAT!?). So much happiness. We're going back tonight. Pray that everything goes well. We are greatly influenced by those around us, and I just hope and pray that those around Donna support her in this.

In other news, I had the weirdest 30 minutes ever yesterday. We went to try to see a less active. Not home (classic). And on our way out we talk to this tall black guy, Tim. He's like "Oh, I love church. Could I come to yours"? Um, yes Tim. You can come. Please come. Then he's like, "Here's my number. Call me to remind me". Okay, we can do that. Then we went to these townhouse thingys. We knocked at a door and no one was coming. Two sketchy guys were walking up to the apartment next to the one we just knocked at and so Sister Straight started talking to them. Then the person came to the door and it was JUST ME. Thanks Sister Straight, you're a pal. BUT good news. I did the whole approach fine and gave him a BoM and set up a return appointment. There is no way that I would be able to do that if I wasn't a missionary. NO WAY. I'm so thankful for the constant companion of the Holy Ghost. And the courage that God has given me. 

Saturday was real fun! Started out with a ward service project. Cleaning the church. The best. It was nice to wear jeans. And they still fit. So that's always good news :) I just love getting to know the members more. Sister Straight and I have noticed a big change in the ward just since I've been here. More trust and more contact. Apparently there have been missionaries in the past who got on the wrong side of the ward members. So we've been working hard to build up that trust. Brother Kemper is my fave. He's just the coolest 92 year old man I've ever met. When he sees me and Sis. S, he says, "Hello Sister Straight and Sister Quist on a quest"! That's me! Haha, Quist on a Quest! :) 

And of course, I just love Sundays. Our Zone Conference was about how to make the Sabbath a more exalted day. Exodus 31:13 says,  "Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbath ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you". What sign are we giving God on Sunday? Russell M. Nelson said, "When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity is appropriate on the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, 'What sign do want to give to God?' That question about the Sabbath day made my choices crystal clear." The Sabbath isn't just a day that we go to church, partake of the Sacrament, then go and watch t.v. all day. It's a day to know God more fully and do the things that will strengthen our relationships with Him and our families. 

I hope that you all have a super rad week. The more completely I live this gospel the more I come to love it. I can testify that living the gospel with exactness will bring forth many miracles! I'm just the luckiest girl to get to wear this name tag for 18 months. 

Xo,
Sister Quist

Pics:
1. Waiting for the bridge to lower. After Donna's lesson. Feeling on top of the world!
2. Just a little selfie shot ;)