Monday, June 15, 2015

Week 8 - Hello, hello!

Wow. This has been a really crazy week! So, so busy. First of all, right after we got done emailing last Monday Donna texted us saying she didn't want to meet with us anymore. We were SO disappointed. She was so solid and all of a sudden she was totally backing out. Really sad. It was really tough to to get discouraged about that. Especially when it just felt so right. The Lord definitely is aware of us though and as we were walking into Walmart we saw a new potential investigator, Don. What a tender mercy from the Lord. On Wednesday we stopped by Donna's house to clarify why she wanted to discontinue meeting with us. She said how she felt really overwhelmed and had a lot of questions. So we told her we'd stop by Saturday to have a little Q & A session. That lesson was a little unconventional, and it was kind of scattered, but I think that it really helped her to understand some things about the church and gave her a lot of peace. She told us about her background and we said how it sounded like the things that she has gone through had prepared her for this. She expressed how she "felt goosebumps"! Holy Ghost alert! How incredible. Then yesterday she came to church!! All three hours. All three blocks were amazing. Sister Mueller talked in Sacrament meeting about the whole metaphor of the lighthouse being a beacon to us. And Sister Belnap talked about how God is our loving Heavenly Father. And wow. The spirit was just so strong, I don't know how anyone couldn't feel of it! After church Donna said she really enjoyed it all {YAY!} I know that the Lord has prepared Donna. I'm so blessed to play such a small part in her conversion.

Also, last Monday, all of our evening plans fell through. Such a bummer. So we decided to take a little trip to Winneconne! I was so excited because Sister Straight has been raving on and on about how beautiful it is. And it did not disappoint! We were able to see the K family, some members who live out there. Their backyard reminded me of McCall a little. The prettiest lake house! 


We left their house, but not before looking at all their family pics and realizing I was in my golf class with a guy that married their granddaughter! Such a small world. I love it! Anyways, we left their house and went to visit Bro. Whiting. Bro. W's wife is not a member and neither Sister Straight or I had ever met her before. From what we had heard from Bro. W, she just hasn't seemed very open to the church or missionaries. But we said, what the heck! And went and it turned out to be such a successful visit! We knocked on the door and Bro. W answered and invited us it. His wife was no where to be found though. But then, he said, "Hold on"! And he went and got her. We had the loveliest time visiting with them and just getting to know them better. Then we left an hour later and that was that! THEN. Sunday (yesterday) we were in ward council and Bro. W shared with us that us dropping by meant so much to him and how his wife "can't stop talking" about us!! I was like, WHAT!? This is such a good news! Me, Sister Straight, and Bro. W were all tearing up as he told us how she is now opening up to take the missionary discussions! It's amazing to see the Lord soften the hearts of His children. That has been one of my favorite moments ever on my mission so far. Just being able to see the desire that Bro. Whiting has for his wife to learn about this gospel and to feel to joy and happiness it has brought him makes me so happy! Ah! So incredible. (Also, fun fact, I'm dying with all the golf courses we're surrounded by and Bro. Whiting may take us to the golf course soon! Bless his soul).

New Missionary Training was this week, too! It was really fun to see all my MTC pals. Especially my beautiful Blas! I have just missed her so much. First thing she says to me, "Q! I found your husband"! Oh my goodness, Sister Blas. Such a nut. Haha, she makes me laugh so hard. It was so nice to spend six hours with President and Sister Cutler. The more I get to know them the more I just love them. Being surrounded by other missionaries is so fun, too.

the MTC group
the madison sisters stayed at our apartment 
the night before new missionary training… 
so that was fun! 
 Sisters Blas, Tenney, Osmond, and Quist

You know, I just really am learning to love it here in Oshkosh. I just really love the ward members and I love meeting new people and I love my cute companion. And as crazy as it sounds, I'm learning to love knocking on doors. And of course I love my Savior and my Heavenly Father so much. I am just really happy. Of course days are long. Probably some of the longest days I've ever had have been on the mission. And of course there are really crappy moments. But for the most part, this mission thing isn't so bad! I'm not gonna lie, I miss you all like crazy and sometimes I miss those worldly things. But I love the Doctrine & Covenants 25:10, "And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better". And that's what I'm trying to do! Laying aside music and dating and movies and all that jazz to come closer to my Father in Heaven. How lucky and grateful I am for this opportunity!

I'm reading this really good book right now. You may have heard of it. It's called the Book of Mormon. And I'm in Alma 17. Probably one of my favorite chapters ever! How great are the Sons of Mosiah? Such amazing missionaries. Alma 17:5-8 just stuck out to me this morning and I love how they directly relate to not only being a missionary, but just being a human! We are all going to have afflictions and get emotionally, spiritually, and physically exhausted. But as we put on the whole armor of God and go forth to tell (and show!) people why the gospel makes us so happy the Lord will provide a way and buoy us up! I have seen it here on my mission and I can see it in the lives of those around me.

Thankful for the prayers offered on my behalf and also the emails and words of encouragement! We're working hard here in Oshkosh and I'm learning so so much about myself and my Heavenly Father! Love you all tons. 

XO,
Sister Quist

 Sister Moffitt (love her)